Sunday, August 13, 2006

Podcast Review: Cast On


Cast On

Overview:
Brenda Dayne talks about knitting, spinning and fiber. The show has essays related to the current "season" topic, guest essays, "Today's Sweater" (the backstory of an object Brenda knit), music, a little knitting- or fiber-related news and bits about her life.

Passion Factor: Brenda's style makes me feel like she's a mentor and a friend.

Sound Quality: Excellent

Sound Levels: Medium-high. All elements are the same volume.

Production Quality: High. This podcast sets the bar and I compare other podcasts to its sound and production values. Brenda could get a job as a sound engineer if she wanted to!

Type of music: Varies, but mostly acoustic folky stuff. Songs relate to the topic. Some comedy, even a rap song about knitting.

My prudish rating: PG-13. Brenda rarely utters a curse, but she's been known to do it. If you are offended by graphic descriptions of anatomically correct knitted dolls and bags, you should probably skip those episodes.

Time: 45-60 minutes.

Frequency: Weekly, with "seasons" of ten weeks or so, then she takes a break for a few weeks and comes back for another "season".

Web Site: Cast-On. A blog with excellent show notes with clickable links to items and music for each episode. There are links to other knitting and non-knitting podcasts, her sponsors, and other stuff. You can comment on each episode, leave a voice mail, and send wordy or monetary contributions.

My Humble Opinion: Well, if you can't tell already, I absolutely love this show. Brenda often makes me laugh out loud and occasionally makes me cry. I've shared parts of her podcasts with my non-knitting friends. I usually learn ways to make my knitting better. Many times she says what I was thinking, but so much more wise and witty that I might just let her speak for me from now on. If you're not a knitter, you should at least listen to her intro. It's that cool.
Technorati Tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home